The Regal Theatre is located on the corner of Hay Street and Rokeby Road and is a much loved Subiaco icon.
The Regal was named after King George VI who, at the time of opening, had recently ascended the throne, and who was later acknowledged by the installation of a crown and lettering spelling out the cinema’s name in neon over the front entrance.
The new cinema was officially opened on the evening of 27 April 1938. It was a glamorous affair and the inaugural program included Shall We Dance with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, and Love Under Fire with Loretta Young and Don Ameche.
The Regal was placed on the State’s heritage list of buildings in 1994. It is listed with the National Trust and is registered with the Australian Heritage Commission.